Well I’m not a dietitian, nutritionist or a doctor. I’m just a guy who has struggled loosing and gaining the same 35lbs for more than a decade. I have tried every diet out there from high carb, low fat, raw vegan, south beach, high protein and even the lemonade master cleanser. I have done some really unhealthy things with caffeine diet pills and exercising myself into the ground in my struggle with much fleeting success. Not long after getting close to goal weight I would go off and regain all the weight back and more.
I stumbled quite a few times in my attempts at the Nutritional Ketosis. I have tried incorporating the HFLC ( High Fat Low Carb) approach to eating for more than a year and feel really good on this diet. Beer and wine have usually been the down fall. but I have finally gotten it dialed in to a place where it is sustainable for my life. Here are some tips from what I have learned.
- Change your relationship with food. Food is fuel and should rarely be used for comfort, reward or stress relief.
- Loose the concept of having 3 things on your plate. This was really hard for me. Most of my meals now are a fatty fish or meat over a pile of green leafy vegetables.
- Have very large servings of green vegetables at every meal, add a tbsp. of grass fed butter. Frozen green vegetables and prewashed salad boxes are very convenient.
- Don’t worry about missing a meal. If you don’t have high quality nutrient dense foods that meet your macros just skip it.
- IF – intermittent fasting is easy, skip breakfast for fat coffee, just have lunch and dinner that day. This should be done on most of your more sedentary days.
- Don’t try to replace carbs with Franken-foods from the health food store
- Learn to enjoy canned fish packed in olive oil ( sardines, anchovies, oysters and occasional tuna and salmon)
- Avocados, ghee, grass feed butter, olive, fish and coconut oil – eat these every day.
- Use lots of salt, I like the Himalayan Pink Salt.
- Bulletproof coffee is great but if your like me and add 1 tbsp. each of ghee, coconut oil and MCT oil you are drinking 350+ calories. Just 1 “cup” a day. I usually stretch my coffee out by topping it off with more black coffee to my mug.
- Listen to podcasts from Tim Ferriss, Dave Asbury & Robb Wolf for inspiration.
- Don’t do strenuous exercise until you are fully fat adapted. All exercises should be done below your maximum aerobic threshold MAF 180-age
- Use an application like cron-o-meter to track everything.
- some really good hacks here : http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-hacks
- No alcohol.
Check out the following posts for what this diet looks like: