I have yet to DNF. I have ran some fairly tough races under some less than ideal conditions but I still haven’t found a race course and day that could beat me. I have come up with a bucket list of races that I plan on pushing this to the test. This is a rough plan in order of appearance and subject to change. It’s a tough place to be in ultra running that you have to have a multi year plan to register and get through the lotteries of the most challenging races. Let’s make a plan to DNF?
- Grand Slam of Ultra Running – If I get into WSER 100 this year It will most likely be my one and only chance to do the grand slam so if I get in for 2017 the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run, the Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run, the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run and the Wasatch Front 100 Mile Endurance Run will be attempted all in the same year.
- Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 Mile Run – If I don’t get into WSER100 the MMT100 is in May and will hopefully fit in my schedule for 2017. This will then earn me my 5th WSER 100 qualifier ticket for 2017.
- Grindstone 100 – Likely candidate for October 2017 if WSER100 and Grand Slam doesn’t happen. This will be a qualifier needed for Hard Rock.
- HardRock 100 – Probably the toughest 100 miler out there. I might as well add Leadville to the list as well…
- Badwater 135 - I had said for a long time I would never run this race and I’m not interested. Could I DNF here? I’ll never know if I don’t try.
- Barkley Marathons - I am a terrible navigator and according to the Barkley Marathons Documentary there are no DNFs
All that being said if am able to qualify for the US24 hour team again this could change my plans for 2017 and I’ll be once again praying that I don’t get into the WSER100 with 4 years worth of tickets in the lottery this time. It would be close to impossible to pull off a trip to Belfast and the Grand Slam.